Monday, June 25, 2007

Smith Lower Gorge, East Side

Jason, Mel and I hit up the basalt cracks of Smith's lower gorge this weekend. Overall, it was a pretty good time and we managed to dodge the crowds and climb in an area that we had completly to ourselves. You could tell that it wasn't a super popular area based on the jungle-like bushwack we endured on the approach. Finally I discovered what stinging nettle looks like (the hard way, repeatedly). Despite the vegetation, the climbing was generally excellent. I can't remember the names of the routes that we climbed but things seemed to be hard, and I think we all left the area a little humbled! Here are the photos in no particular order:


Jason stemming up something on day one.
(Check out the extended draws-no rope drag here!)


Mel Rapping off of our first climb of the weekend


Me on Azog (5.9), my favorite of the weekend.


Sinker hand jams!


Me catching a break


Mel dropping a knee...


And then making Jason and I look bad!


Jason eeking out something for his feet

No comments: